If information reaching us is anything to go by, then the students of University of Uyo (UNIUYO) will be coughing N7,500 each for the damage done on the school property on June 12, 2013. According to a source who was privy to the meeting which was held today around 3pm between the Student Union Government (SUG) and the Governing council of UNIUYO, led by the pro-chancellor, Prof. Kimse Okoko, these decisions were reached:
1) The Vice Chancellor, Mrs. Comfort Ekpo who the students had demanded her sack was completely exonerated and not found culpable.
2) The Deputy Vice Chancellors were found culpable and directed to be warned in writing.
3) The Dean of Students’ and Chief Security Officer were found culpable and their appointments are to be terminated.
4) Students of the Faculty of Engineering are to pay a surcharge of N10,000 for allegedly staging the riot that led to the burning of school properties, while other students are to pay a surcharge of N7,500. This money is to be paid before resumptions while the students are to download an online form and sign an undertaking to be of good behavior. Plea by the SUG to make the money a flat rate of N5000 was rejected by the governing council
5. Fifteen students who were identified as Vikings confraternity were said to be the ring leaders and are to be punished with expulsion immediately “Ring Leaders” have been recommended for expulsion.
The SUG was however allowed to take care of the students’ transportation henceforth. According to our source, the damage done to the school was put at N122 million. It will be recalled that the students protested in the hike of their transportation fare from the Engineering department, an act which led to riot, where men of the Nigeria police force allegedly shot some students dead.
As at the time of filing in this report, the university is yet to make public the outcome of their meeting.