Dozens of traders and passerby were today (Tuesday) killed near Maiduguri main market when two suspected female suicide bombers dressed in full hijab detonated bombs hidden under their garments, witnesses and security sources have said.
The explosions occurred at about 11:20 a.m. at a crowded Maiduguri commercial area called One-Way.
Today’s blast is the first in the city since the last that of July 2.
According to witnesses accounts, there was a first explosion that killed three women before the second one exploded and killed many persons who gathered at the scene of the first blast.
Abba Aji an official of the Civilian-JTF, told reporters that at the time he arrived the scene, eleven bodies were still yet to be evacuated, even as he said many other corpses and several injured victims had been conveyed to hospital.
“We cannot say immediately the actual number of the dead casualties, until we put together the figures later,” Mr. Aji said. “We have many people that are seriously injured after the two blast.”
According to the Civilian-JTF official, the bombers were two girls dressed in full hijab.
“One of them detonated herself and about three persons – all women – were killed, and minutes after that when people came round to see what happened, another bomb went off after a girl screamed and many people, over 30 of them got killed. We cannot say the exact figure for now because even before our arrival here some of the corpses had been taken away, while some including that of the bombers were mangled beyond recognition,” he said.
Borno state police command is yet to issue any statement on the blast.
Source: Premium Times